George Watts Montessori Edible Garden (great PDF with lesson ideas)
Our PreK themes for the Spring Season are as follows:
Eric Carle/Little Seed
- Do you have pets that might live in the garden?
- What animals might live in the garden that aren’t pets?
- What insects do you see in the garden?
- What colors are they?
- Can you count how many insects you see?
- Where do the insects live? Do some like certain plants?
- Hide the plastic insects around the garden for the kids to find (note: make sure you know how many you put out and where so that you can find them again ;-))
- Have you been to a farm?
- How is your garden like a farm?
- How is it different?
- What could we add to the garden to make it more like the farm you visited?
- What animals live in a zoo?
- What color are they?
- Do you see any of the same colors in your garden?
- Are there any plants that have the same names as an animal at the zoo? (note: there is Elephant Ear in a pot near the arbor – it’s sitting in the long bed waiting to get planted)
- Can you measure your hand (gently) against the Elephang Ear leaf? If your hand bigger or smaller? What color is it? Does it smell like an Elephant?
- Can you draw a plant that looks like an animal at the zoo?
- Are there any colors in the garden that are the same as a zoo animal?
- Is there anything in the garden that the animals could use as camouflage?
Ocean & Letter Y:
Summer Fun & Letter Z
Have a great summer & see you in the Fall!
Scavenger hunts (regardless of topic) are always fun for the kids and easy to tailor to any subject!